- This event has passed.
Expert Witness Training for Medical Professionals
Benefits of Inspire Expert Witness Training
- Expertise specifically in the medico-legal sector means that we are able to provide the most relevant training for medical professionals.
- Inspire MediLaw is delighted to announce that we will be working in collaboration with the GMC who will provide an hour’s session at our Expert Witness Training
- Marketing of your expertise to our network of lawyers along with networking and speaking opportunities.
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring by our experienced lawyers and medical experts to develop your skills as an expert witness.
- Administrative support for 12 months by experienced practice managers to get your CV, T&Cs and reports in a format lawyers like to see.
- Comprehensive course materials for easy future reference.
- CPD accreditation.
(All the benefits above are included in the cost of the course)
Day One – Prepare
Dr Alastair Bint, GP & Expert Witness
- Practicalities of setting up a medico-legal practice
- CPR 35 and PD 35 – Understanding your duties as an expert witness, standards and protocols
- The law relating to clinical negligence
- Recent case law and the practicalities for you as an expert witness
- The roles of various players – client, claims management company, claimant solicitor, barrister, judge and other witnesses
- What to expect from instructing parties
- Identifying the issues that need to be addressed in your report
- Examination and discussion of sample reports – good and bad
- Preparing, structuring and writing your medical report to successfully argue your conclusion
- The use of research and supporting information to explain your conclusion
- Terms of engagement and how to get paid
- Developing your practice and winning instructions
- Q & A
Day Two (morning) – Practice
Paul Sankey, Partner at Enable Law and Clinical Negligence Solicitor
- Understand what lawyers are looking for and the language they use
- Consent post-Montgomery
- Understanding the issues of proportionality
- The cost process and how it impacts on your fees
- Outline of Fixed Costs and how this may impact on medico-legal work
- Use of medical records
- NICE Guidelines and the legal effect
- Part 35 – Questions and joint statements
- Joint statements – agreeing an agenda and preparing for the meeting with your opposing expert
- Areas of agreement and disagreement
- Minutes of joint meeting
- Attending Expert’s meetings
- Concurrent evidence – hot tubbing
Day Two (afternoon) – Perform
Dr Simon Fox QC, Clinical Negligence Barrister at No5 Chambers
- Making sure your report is prepared for trial
- Civil Procedure Rules you need to know about
- Preparing for the witness box
- Pretrial conferences
- Courtroom procedure
- Courtroom etiquette
- Examination in Chief
- Cross Examination
- Questions from the Judge
- Concurrent evidence – hot tubbing
- When things go wrong
- Role play
- The GMC’s professional guidance on ‘Acting as a witness in legal proceedings’ to understand what is professionally expected of doctors acting as an expert witness
- The ‘shoulds’ and ‘musts’ around keys areas in preparing reports, giving opinions, acting within competence and confidentiality
- How do the GMC use experts in fitness to practise matters?
- How can doctors become an expert instructed by the GMC and what guidance is available on this?
All of our trainers are from our Advisory Panel and are practicing Medical Expert Witnesses, Healthcare Lawyers/Healthcare Barristers and are highly experienced in the Clinical Negligence field. We are also very pleased to have Rachel Woodall, Regional Liaison Advisor from the GMC holding a session on Day two.
Inspire MediLaw’s comprehensive two-day expert witness training course will provide medical professionals of all specialities with the essential knowledge, confidence and support needed to succeed in medico-legal practice.
- Thursday 20 – Friday 21 September 2018, 9am-5.00pm
- £995+VAT to include additional benefits
- Individual days available: Day 1 Prepare – £497 +VAT | Day 2 Practice & Perform – £497 +VAT
- CPD hours 7 per day
- Jury’s Inn, Godstow Road, Oxford
- Introductory offers available