- This event has passed.
Expert Witness Training for Medical Professionals
Benefits of Inspire Expert Witness Training
- Expertise specifically in the medico-legal sector means that we are able to provide the most relevant training for medical professionals.
- Marketing of your expertise to our network of lawyers along with networking and speaking opportunities.
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring by our experienced lawyers and medical experts to develop your skills as an expert witness.
- Secretarial support for your medico-legal practice for 12 months by experienced practice managers.
- Comprehensive course materials for easy future reference.
- CPD accreditation.
(All the benefits above are included in the cost of the course)
Day One – Prepare
Dr Alastair Bint, GP & Expert Witness
- Practicalities of setting up a medico-legal practice
- CPR 35 and PD 35 – Understanding your duties as an expert witness, standards and protocols
- The law relating to clinical negligence
- Recent case law and the practicalities for you as an expert witness
- The roles of various players – client, claims management company, claimant solicitor, barrister, judge and other witnesses
- What to expect from instructing parties
- Identifying the issues that need to be addressed in your report
- Examination and discussion of sample reports – good and bad
- Preparing, structuring and writing your medical report to successfully argue your conclusion
- The use of research and supporting information to explain your conclusion
- Terms of engagement and how to get paid
- Developing your practice and winning instructions
- Q & A
Day Two (morning) Practice
Paul Sankey, Partner at Enable Law and Clinical Negligence Solicitor
- Understand what lawyers are looking for and the language they use
- Consent post-Montgomery
- Understanding the issues of proportionality
- The cost process and how it impacts on your fees
- Outline of Fixed Costs and how this may impact on medico-legal work
- Use of medical records
- NICE Guidelines and the legal effect
- Part 35 – Questions and joint statements
- Joint statements – agreeing an agenda and preparing for the meeting with your opposing expert
- Areas of agreement and disagreement
- Minutes of joint meeting
- Attending Expert’s meetings
Day Two (afternoon) – Perform
Simon Fox QC, Clinical Negligence Barrister at No5 Chambers
- Making sure your report is prepared for trial
- Civil Procedure Rules you need to know about
- Preparing for the witness box
- Pre-trial conferences
- Courtroom procedure
- Courtroom etiquette
- Examination in Chief
- Questions from the Judge
- Concurrent evidence – Hot tubbing
- When things go wrong
- Role Play
All of our trainers are from our Advisory Panel and are practicing Medical Expert Witnesses, Healthcare Lawyers/Healthcare Barristers and are highly experienced in the Clinical Negligence field.
Inspire MediLaw’s comprehensive two-day expert witness training course will provide medical professionals of all specialities with the essential knowledge, confidence and support needed to succeed in medico-legal practice.
- Monday 15th – Tuesday 16th January 2018, 8.30am-5.00pm
- Individual days available: Day 1 Prepare – £497 +VAT | Day 2 Practice – £497 +VAT
- CPD hours 7 per day
- Oxford Spires Hotel, Oxford
- £995+VAT to include additional benefits
- Introductory offers available